Coveney sits 43 feet above sea level overlooking Ely Cathedral in the east. It was a small island in the fens a long time before The Earl of Bedford and Cornelius Vermuyden ever dreamt of draining the Cambridgeshire Fens.
Mansion Farm House
If the name of Coveney evokes a land fit for Lucifer’s Angles think again, it derives its name from “island in the bay” and was once the home of Aethelswyth, daughter of the Noble Saxon Oswi, who came here with her maidens to work on her embroidery and weaving in the early 11 century.
The Village Sign , Showing a image of Aethelswyth
The Church of St Peter ad Vincula dates back to the 13th century and its tower can be seen sitting proud as you approach the village from Wardy Hill in the north west. There is a village pond where you can sit on a summers day and take in the extensive views across the fens to Ely. Beside the pond is situated the village lockup, this was used in a time gone bye to store the village bier that carried the coffins to the Church. Mansion Farm House which is the oldest house in the village lies just north of the church and it is said to have been built around the same time, there was a National School for both boys and girls, the property is now used as a Bed and Breakfast.
The Village Lockup and Seat Next to The Village Pound
The celebrated, controversial, disputatious Dr. Conyers Middleton was rector of Coveney between 1725 and 1728, his first wife’s granddaughter was Elizabeth Montagu the British social reformer, who helped organize and lead the bluestocking Society, she was a frequent visitor to the Middletons in Cambridgeshire in younger days.
Views of The Church of St Peter ad Vincula
The Old Chapel and grave stones now part of Mansion Farm House
The Old Rectory
The School House and The Old School
Related Web Links:
St Peter-ad-Vincula, Coveney
Cambridgeshire History Online Coveney
British History Online Coveney with Manea
Trinity College Chapel, Conyers Middleton
The Old Scholl Bed and Breakfast